When a nonverbal sound occurs such as a yawning, applauses, music, interjections, or a filler word you should always register it by using the F8 key.
Well eee let's keep working. = Well [use F8 key to register the filler eee] let's keep working.
Never break up a word to register a sound. If the speaker makes the sound in the middle of a word, register it before the word:
I abso * ... RIIIIIIIIIIING ... * lutely agree = I [use F8 key to register telephone ringing] absolutely agree.
Never register two identical sounds without at least one intermediate word, no matter, for example: That the speaker is laughing for several minutes or that there is music playing for several minutes only
What a good joke hahaha You made me laugh. = What a good joke. [use F8 key to register laughins] You made me laugh.
These are the nonverbal sounds you must register (categorized):
- ah -- Expression of surprise, pain, etc.
- eh -- For example: "Eh, you"
- er -- The speaker is thinking
- ew -- Expression of disgust or disgust
- jeez -- Expression of surprise or annoyance
- mm -- for example: "Mm, is delicious"
- nah -- The speaker is saying no
- oh -- Expression of surprise, pain, etc.
- uh -- Question or confusion expression
- uh-huh -- The speaker is nodding
- uh-oh -- The speaker is saying no
- um -- The speaker is thinking
- whew -- Relief expression
- whoa -- Surprise expression
- yay -- Expression of happiness
- yep -- The speaker is nodding
Other human sounds
- Yawn, breath, or sigh
- Sneeze, cough, or throat
- Crying or sob
- Cheers -- Hip hip hurra
- Other human sounds -- different to all listed
- Beep -- Answering machine
- Telephone dialing
- Static -- Continuous background noise
- Voice recorder answering machine
- Music or singing
- Keyboard sounds
- Telephone ring
- Other ambient sounds -- different to all listed